Career Essentials Application
Welcome to the Career Essentials application! Please read everything carefully. If you have any questions about Career Essentials, or the application, email Kristen O’Donnell at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
What is Career Essentials?
Career Essentials is an after-school career-readiness program where you will learn important skills for college and the workplace. Career Essentials participants will develop skills including:
- Interview for a job
- Professional communication and presentation
- Time management
- Resume and cover letter writing
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Explore career options
- Work with students from different boroughs and high schools
- Attend a Career Exploration fieldtrip
- Network with a range of industry professionals
Who should apply to Career Essentials?
Career Essentials is open to all high school students who reside in New York City. This program is for students who are looking to improve their work readiness skills, learn about career pathways, and expand their knowledge on the professional world.
When does the Career Essentials program take place?
Fall Semester Career Essentials takes place from October to December, once a week, after-school from 4:30 pm – 6:15 pm, for 11 weeks.
The required program orientations will be offered the week of October 16th and pizza will be served! If you do not attend an orientation, you will not be able to participate in Career Essentials.
Career Essentials workshops will begin the week of October 23rd.
The deadline to apply for fall Career Essentials is October 9th.
Where does Career Essentials take place?
Career Essentials will take place in-person at Futures and Options’ offices, located at 111 Broadway in Manhattan.
What are the benefits of participating in Career Essentials?
Career Essentials will help you gain essential skills to succeed as a professional, and you will also have the opportunity to learn about different industries from top tier professionals and meet other highly motivated students from across the 5 boroughs.
There are even more benefits when you complete Career Essentials successfully.
- All participants who successfully complete Career Essentials get a $50 give card.
- You will become a Futures and Options’ Alumni a network of thousands of people who have participated in Futures and Options programming.
- As alumni, you will have access to additional career exploration, college guidance, mentorship programming, and professional networking activities.
- All Futures and Options alumni are eligible to apply for college scholarships during their senior year of high school. Scholarships range from $2,500 to $10,000.
- Successful Career Essentials alumni are prioritized for participation in the Futures and Options Internship Program.
What are the expectations for students who participate in Career Essentials?
Demonstrate a high level of professionalism
- Be on time for all workshops
- Meaningfully participate in all workshops – including completing assignments, participating in group activities, respecting and supporting fellow students
- Notify your workshop facilitators one day in advance if you expect to be absent
Meet All Program Expectations
- Attend the REQUIRED orientation session
- Attend all workshops
- Complete all assignments and makeups as needed
- Complete a survey upon completion of the program
Support Futures and Options’ Core Values
- Set high expectations for yourself and others. Strive for excellence, and make a positive impact
- Create an environment where all feel welcome. Foster a culture of equity and inclusion
- Show utmost respect for yourself and others at all times
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity both on a personal and professional level
Participants who attend the REQUIRED orientation and attend at least 8 out 10 of their workshops, and complete the exit survey will be eligible to earn a $50 stipend at the end of the semester.