The Externship Experience
The Externship Experience is a 10-16 hour career exploration program that includes trainings, career panels, mentoring sessions, and project-based learning opportunities for students. Externships help students discover their unique talents by providing opportunities to practice critical work readiness skills under the mentorship of supportive adults. Our externship partners represent myriad industries, including: accounting, finance, insurance, technology, among others.
All the mentors, directors, analysts at Houlihan Lokey who shared their insights made it seem possible for someone like me, a woman of color, to enter this field. Initially, I came into this program hoping simply understand the inner workings of finance, however, I found this externship to do much more that that! I received hands on experience, gained advice, and meet some incredible, like-minded high schoolers in the city.—Sandra Cheah, LaGuardia High School
How It Works
- Selected high school students, with priority going to seniors, will be matched to an externship opportunity based on scheduling and professional interests. All Externship students will participate in a pre-session orientation.
- Externships are held during school breaks and/or after school and will run for 10-16 hours. Students will receive a stipend for successfully completing their Externship.
Elements of the Externship Experience
- In collaboration with Futures and Options, Externship partners design workshops and events that introduce students to specific industries, provide students with opportunities to practice their professional and interpersonal skills, and network with each other and with corporate volunteers.
- Externship activities can include: career panels, speed networking events, skills-based training such as, Excel or business writing, and/or small group mentorship.
- Externship partners also engage students in a group project related to their company’s work.
Contact Sam Kahn, our Alumni Engagement Manager, with any questions at email@example.com or call (212) 601-0002.